Temple built between 2 BC and 14 AD in honor of Emperor Augustus. It was converted to a Christian Church during the rule of Emperor Justinian. During the city’s decline in the Middle Ages, the church was converted to a grainery. During Napoleonic rule over Istra it contained Roman statues and archeological finds, collected by Marshal Auguste de Marmont. Marmont was appointed by Napoleon as governor of the Illyrian provinces (including Croatia) of the French Empire. The temple was destroyed in 1944 during a US Air Force bombing raid and reconstructed between 1945 and 1947, while the city was under British and American occupation. Today the temple is a museum. It’s located at the city’s ancient Roman Forum, still the site of city government offices.
Photo shows the city Forum and Temple of Augustus during 2006 excavations of Visigoth and Ostrogoth period remains under the Forum before its Austro-Hungarian era pave stones were replaced.
Only registered users can send comments.
It's free and it takes only a few seconds!