Built in 1877, it is accessed by a narrow suspension bridge. It is accessible to the public during limited hours (12:30 PM–3:30 PM) on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays.
The U.S. Coast Guard maintains the lighthouse and the National Park Service provides access to visitors.
Over 300 boats ran aground near the Golden Gate during the gold rush years. In spite of the lighthouse, in 1901, steamer City of Rio de Janeiro struck Point Diablo, near Point Bonita.
Only registered users can send comments.
It's free and it takes only a few seconds!